Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What's in a name?


What's in a name?
 
Well, everything. My name being April, I still get asked to this day if I was born in April. That would make sense, but I'm not. I was born six days prior to Christmas. My dad thinks April is the prettiest month of the year because the flowers and trees start blooming after a grey winter. Therefore, he wanted his daughter to be named after his favorite month of the year. I always enjoy telling that story. Caleb means faithful or whole hearted in Hebrew. I have also seen where it means dog lover which fits so well. "But because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him into the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it. (Numbers 14:24 NIV)" He was also named after his grandpa and father (Robert Caleb) Manning is named after my favorite football family and Dolly is after Dolly Parton because she has big... Ears. Dolly Parton was also my Papaw Roberts' favorite singer.
 
So when considering our name for our baby girl, it was never taken lightly. Caleb is a teacher so he has tons of kids that share the same trendy name or sometimes associates names with an unruly child. A name for our child has been no easy feat and has been discussed since our honeymoon. I have gently vetoed names like Rango and John Wayne that were suggested while we dined on the beach in Mexico.  Others opinions and suggestions for names were politely tossed to the wayside. This name needed to mean something to us even if it only means "I can't believe they are calling her that" to the general public. This name won't be found in the top 10 names of 2013 or probably any year for that matter.  Not even the top 100 and we like it that way.
 
Some of you from back home knew my Nana and Papa Agee who owned the only motel in Pikeville. The only one still to this day. Some of you may remember fishing stories about my Papa or got a card every year on your birthday, anniversary or Christmas from my Nana. Some of you just may know I admired my Nana in so many ways and miss her terribly. We were extremely close. I stayed with her every summer watching the Price is Right, CMT and the Walton's. She picked me up from school everyday. She made me every type of sodium nitrate meat they make (spam, Vienna sausages, hot dogs...she didn't know any better) and scrambled eggs in the microwave. She took me to every Sunday school and church service. When I was old enough to drive and she no longer did, I took her instead. She spoiled me rotten as I was her only grandchild for 11 years. When my cousin Samantha came along, I was very hesitant to "share" my Nana. When she smiled she wrinkled up her nose at the same time if it was a very excited smile. Her eyes even sparkled.  I do the same thing sometimes and my aunt Kim caught it via camera on my wedding day. I wore her pearls that day as well. I wish she could have been there. I do not however have this many memories of my Papa as he passed away when I was 4. I have heard stories from my mom, uncle, dad and Nana and wish had known/remembered him better. I have seen pictures of him feeding me chocolate pudding with a fork when I was a baby, making a huge mess. I know he was a trusting man who used to pick up hitchhikers and let them drive so he could sleep on road trips. I know he was very patient as fishing was his favorite pastime. My Nana was also very patient and never uttered a complaint or unkind word about anyone. Yep that's my Nana and Papa, Wiley and Jewell Agee. Two fine folks. Two memorable folks. Two very missed folks. Two gone too soon folks. I want their memory and goodness to live on in this generation. I want my daughter to ask about them and let me tell her where her name came from. And be proud of it. Caleb's great grandpa's full name (that he was named after) was Robert Wiley Hale so this name covers both of mine and Caleb's heritages. 

This precious little girl will be called Wylie Jewell Collier.
 
Wylie means resolute protection or well watered meadow. 
"The Lord will guide you always, he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame.  You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." Isaiah 58:11 (thanks Heidi for the verse)
There are not many versions of this name out there, with this spelling particularly and especially not many girls with this name. We think Wylie Jewell Collier would make a great name for a country music singer.
 
Jewell means obviously a precious gem or "delight."  "She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her. "(Proverbs 3:15 ESV)
 
There may be times she doesn't like her name because it's different than her friends but once she realizes it's importance and value she will have no reason not to love it. Her name is full of consideration, heritage and meaningfulness to us. Wylie Jewell Collier is loved so much by so many already and I can't wait to meet her.
 
 


1 comment: