Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A "Good Provider"

A good provider.  What is it?  The first idea  that may come to many of your minds may be of a monetary thought. This day in age (wow, I sound so old) that does not surprise me.  It's all around me. "So and so "got a new car, new house, new boat, new motorcycle, new Michael Kohr's watch, new man cave, new kitchen,.... the list goes on and on.  That's great.  Good luck fitting that in your suitcase to the afterlife. I hope I am not coming across hostile, but I had a break through today.  I have struggled lately wondering how people seem to keep just spending money.  Where is the money tree?!?! I have ventured to guess most of Americans are in tremendous debt, therefore they have a lot of really cool "stuff."  Yes, we have stuff, but I have slacked off a lot.  We are trying to save money to pay off our student loans and for projects around the house. I am more conscientious of my spending than I ever have been.  I do not buy anything that I can't pay off the very next month or without a 6-18 month no interest financing plan.  The thought of earning interest just makes me sick.  Regardless of what's in my wallet, I have enough.  God has taken good care of me my whole life and given me the things and people I really need.  I have plenty of providers in my life and more than I will ever need "provided."

First and foremost, the Lord in Heaven above is the ultimate provider to all. 

"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

The Lord is the sole provider of everything I have.  Food, this world, water, life, salvation, health, emotions, my mind, etc.  Including the other providers I have in my life:

My husband.  I just love him dearly.  I am so thankful to the Lord for him and our marriage.

He provides me with:
Friendship
Laughter
Safety
Conversation
Excellent choices in cereal :)
Sanity
A Home (not a house)
Unconditional Love (that I sometimes am not worthy of)
Support
Christian Leadership
and his heart

As his wife, I have far more than I could ever have on my own.  I have a constant body guard :) , a yard man, a pool boy, a comedian, a larger house, two vehicles (in case one doesn't start), a dog, a movie buff, eye candy and the list goes on and on.  I have always been a very independent person. I could easily make a life on my own, but I would have to do without all those things I just named.  I realized something today---hitting me like a ton of bricks (thank you Lord).  Everyone was out on their boats, at the beach, doing whatever and we were working our butts off at our "new to us" house with my parents.  I realized there is no place I would rather be than at our home that we have made together with our sweet boy Manning.  No beach, no watch, no purse, no city, no vacation could be better than the dream he has made come true for me this past year.  I am living the "Happily Ever After" I always wished and prayed for.  A home with my husband and German Shepherd. No amount of money could ever buy what we have.  Thank you Caleb for being a wonderful husband and provider for me.  Becoming your wife was the best thing that has ever happened to me.  You are the most handsome, smart, kind, sweet, funny, genuine, passionate, persistent, patient man I know and I do not need anything but you and the love you give me every second of every day.

"But if any man does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. " 1 Timothy 5:8


My parents.  I can't forget them.  Since I was born, I have had more than enough.  Clothes, food, toys, pools, pets, trips, etc.  Let's face it-- as an "only" child, I was very blessed.  As much as I always wanted a brother and sister, I was able to have things some children didn't, including the undivided attention and support of my parents.  Even though I am all grown up now, they still provide for me.  My mom is my best friend, an ear to listen, and my cheerleader.  At her house we are never without freshly made sweet tea, freshly washed sheets, and yummy Sunday morning breakfasts.  We still enjoy our random shopping trips and movies and I like to treat her every now and then.  I will never ever be able to pay her back for all the clothes I wanted in high school. My dad has always been my mechanic, Mr. Fix it, handy-man and a total hoot.  The things he is able to do for me has saved us so much money with our house instead of having to hire out work.  He had been my landlord for 7 years and gave me the best college housing situation I could have ever wanted.  He has never been a majorly sensitive or affectionate person, but he shows his love through doing things for me.  If that is the case- he loves me more than words or affection could ever come close to expressing. Thank you, Mom & Dad, for everything and who I am today.

 Now I am ready to visit you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you, because what I want is not your possessions but you. After all, children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children. 2 Corinthians 12:14

This is my soapbox for today.  I hope everyone can appreciate what a true provider really is without looking at your bank account, closet, or garage. 

Happy Independence Day! 


1 comment:

  1. April, you are the most amazing, wonderful daughter any parent could have! I am so blessed to have you for my daughter and am so proud of the beautiful (inside and out) young woman you have become. All I have ever wanted was for you to happy! Sometimes, it was clothes or other "things". You have an amazing life, so be sure to live it, Precious! Love you, always an d forever, Mom.

    ReplyDelete