Thursday, March 7, 2013

Not just a dog: Manning is One!



My sweet handsome smart fun loving puppy dog, Manning is turning one today.  Even though I have not had him a year yet, the fact that it's nearly been a year already is just surreal.  He grew up so fast.  Some parts I don't miss (accidents in the floor, biting incessantly, chewing everything) but I do miss being able to pick him up without getting a hernia.  I miss the mornings when he would steal my socks no matter where I was sitting.  He would sometimes steal them as soon a I opened the sock drawer. As annoying as it was at the time, it was one of those "you're gonna miss this" moments.


I know what you are thinking, "April, you need to have a baby and you will just forget about all this dog business."  Maybe MOST humans are like that.  Most humans have a dog as a dog.  As a pet.  As a "when I have time to deal with you and love you" type thing.  Not me.  Nope.  He is not just a "dog."

To many of you, he would just be a dog.  You would feed him, pet him, walk him and cage him up and not think twice about him or his feelings.  I, on the other hand, can see and feel his emotions.  I love his personality.  Although he can't talk back to me, he is one of the most true friends I have on this earth and I absolutely love spending time with him. 



As an only child, I grew up with German Shepherds my whole life.  Taylor, Trooper, Tanner, Tuffy, Thrasher, Willie, Tracker, and Titan.  (Mom likes "T" names.  Willie was adopted.  I am going with Southern icons).  They were my playmates.  My friends.  I would talk to them and imagine with them just like my people friends.  My first spoken word was actually "dog."  I told my dogs everything.  They kept all  my secrets.  They met all my boyfriends and let me know if they approved or not.  They let me cry on their shoulders.  I mourned greatly when they passed away and can tell you how each of them died.  They were always members of our family.  To me, a family is not complete without a German Shepherd Dog, because that is all I have ever known.

I waited 9 years to be able to get a shepherd of my very own over here in Chattanooga.  I was so busy with college and grad school, I knew I did not have the time or money I needed to give a dog the proper life they deserve.  So I waited which was so hard to do. I could not wait to move into a house with a bigger & safer backyard.  Once we did, I immediately starting prepping for a kennel, which was not cheap nor easy labor.  I dug and dug and dug for concrete.  I helped as much as I could, because I knew this was getting me one step closer to having a puppy. Finally, in April 2012, I got my wish.  My dream.  My little white house with a picket fence aka "perfect life" with my dog and husband.  Thanks again mom for getting him for me (she is the reason I am obsessed with them).

Manning has become my best friend and a huge part of our family.  Even Caleb likes him.  Really he does. Their relationship gives me a small glimpse of what a wonderful father he will be one day. They are adorable together. Manning provides 2 large listening ears and kind eyes.  He is my alarm system and protector when Caleb is not home.  He is my walking partner. He is an amazing ball player.  He keeps me company.  He is in my life to serve a dog's purpose: providing their "human" unconditional love.  I didn't have to earn or buy his love, as he freely gives it to me.  He waits for me to come home every day at lunch and after work and his excitement is always there.  He is never mad at me for going away, just happy that I return.

I heard an interesting comparison a few years back: "Dog" is God spelled backwards.  If you really think about their qualities (listening, forgiveness, companionship, loyalty, protection, patience & unconditional, unending love), it begins to make sense.  I strive to be more like this everyday.  Weird, I want to be like my dog? Yep.  I really believe God put dogs on this earth for us not only to love & enjoy, but to remind us of how to live.

Manning is way more to me than just the dog that I post on social media almost everyday.  He is my friend, my child that I have raised since he was 5 weeks old & a constant reminder of how I should be more loving and selfless daily.  He also reminds me to just live in the moment & have fun.

Yes maybe by the time he is five I will be up to my eyeballs in diapers and "mommyland" but Manning will always be my first "baby."  He will always have a place in our home and a huge chunk of my heart.  His birthday will always be celebrated.  His picture will always be taken (I visualize some CUTE future pictures with newborns).  He will always be spoiled and loved. He will always be my best friend that is always there for me.  I plan on making everyday of his life the best that I can because he does that for me.

Happy 1st Birthday Manning (Manno, Manny, Manuel)  

Thank you for bringing such joy and smiles to our home everyday! 










 Here is the recipe for his jumbo puppy cupcakes: (These are for mini muffins.  There is nothing mini about Manning, so I bought a jumbo muffin pan.  The cook time is the same ~15 minutes. This makes 4 jumbo cupcakes.  Manning & Dolly loved them.  Please don't substitute for the whole wheat flour.  (Regular flour is not good for their tummies.)  Thanks to Eva for the recipe :-)

3 comments:

  1. I love this April! Manning is a great dog and I enjoy your posts about him. I am glad that we were able to be involved in your purchase of him. You will be a great mommy one day! I love your blog! :) Love, Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. My precious April! Loved reading your blog! I am so happy and sorry(sometimes) that I made you as dog crazy as I am. The unconditional love that a "dog" gives is amazing! All I need after a long, stressful day is to rub those sweet german shepherd ears and I am ok. The best part is that he will let me do that for hours if I need to with no questions asked! Find a human that will do that! Even your family that loves with all their being can't do that (even though I would try). I would move my boys in and stay with them all day if I could! I love you and your loving caring ways! I am so glad that you have your boy! And I know that when you are ready you will be an amazing mom to human babies too! Love you always and forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Manning! Get photo ready!!

    ReplyDelete